Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Who ya gonna call?

I can't believe I am putting this in writing and it will probably sound way worse in words than it is in real life but...

Sometimes, when the boys are acting up I tell them I am going to call the gypsies* to come get them. There I said it. Am I a horrible mother? If I told you that it is said more in a joking/exasperated voice rather than an angry one does that make it better? No? Oh well...

So, Gavin is the one that was most bothered by this. He asked who the gypsies were and what they would do to him. I said they would make him clean and sweep their houses all day long. (I figured it is no worse than Cinderella, right?). Aidan seemed to pay me no mind from the beginning, almost as if he knew I was only bluffing and was just acting like a child. Maybe he has a point there. But, the first few times I did it were hilarious (to me, anyway) with Gavin shouting "No! No! Don't call the gypsies!" It would stop whatever behavior he was doing dead in its tracks at which point I would give him a squeeze and tell him that "No, of course I wasn't going to call the gypsies because what would I do without you?".

Now he is wise to me and if he is doing some horribly annoying thing and I say "Ga-vin" in a huge sigh he asks "Who are you going to call?" with a wicked grin on his face.

Ever the one to torment my children, I now respond with "Ghostbusters!" simply because I just couldn't resist when he says "Who are you gonna call?". He obviously has no idea why I think that is funny. He just hears the word "ghost" and it is enough to send him into hysterics just as when I first told him about the gypsies. This will also probably get old quick and I will have to think of a new way to emotionally scar my almost-4 year old. I am sure there are dozens of things I could do.


*absolutely no offense to any gypsies that may read my blog ;)

No comments: