Saturday, February 09, 2008

The cry



My poor boy.

Yesterday we were visiting my mother-in-law for lunch. She just had knee surgery so she is not up and around yet. So I took it upon myself to go into the kitchen and start lunch for the kids. I hadn't been in there more than two minutes when I hear an awful thud, a moment of silence, and then the cry. The cry where you just know something is wrong. Not the cry that you here 25 times a day and shout into the other room "You'll be okay." without even going in to check on the crier. The cry that makes you drop whatever it is your doing and fly into the room as fast as you can.

So from what I can gather, Aidan was spinning around, tripped on the area rug and smashed his face right onto the coffee table. Thank goodness it missed his actual eye and thank goodness my in-laws have a coffee table with rounded edges. It swelled immediately and turned bluish. I put in a call to our doctor's office and they seemed to feel that as long as he was not disoriented and not complaining of a headache or nausea to just leave him be.

Today he is his old self but his eye looks so much worse. Sean has dubbed him "Rocky" since he looks just like him after he won the fight agaisnt the Russian guy (Drago?).
So it seems that Aidan is always the one getting hurt in this family. Here he is the day before he turned three when he was again twirling, lost his balance and smashed his nose into our fireplace. Thankfully nothing was broken.
Gavin (knocking wood here) has never been seriously injured. I think it is partly because he is way too careful to allow himself to sustain injury. He is not a twirler, spinner,or jumper. Aidan has such an exhuberant spirit that he just bubbles over all the time. Gavin is much more reserved.

I suppose it is good in a way. Two bubbly spirits are sure to add up to some trips to the Emergency Room.

No comments: