Wednesday, September 03, 2008

And then it hit me

Next week holds a big, life-changing day for our little family.

The first day of Kindergarten.

I have been having such mixed emotions this whole summer about this. Some days I am so ready to pack them up and drop them off at the school door and burn rubber away from there. Then there are days where I think I will miss them beyond words and can't get the thoughts out of my head how the dynamics of our relationship will change forever. Not necessarily in a bad way but I just hate any kind of change.

For the past 5 years, my mom has not worked on Thursdays. It started out so she could help me with the boys when they were newborns and then just evolved into "Grandma day" where she would come over and we would go out and do something fun with the boys and later, Ciara. Tomorrow is our last "Grandma day", all of us together. This time next week they will be in school. All day. For six hours.

Today the boys had their kindergarten assessments (kindergarten starts a week later than elementary kids) and as we were leaving the building, the students were being dismissed. It was chaotic to say the least and it just finally hit me that my boys are going to soon be in with this swarm of children. They will run off with their friends to get in a few extra moments on the play structure. I will probably get the universal "I don't know" when I ask what they did at school that day. On the flip side, they will be making new friends, learning new things and experiencing so much. I am excited for that.

Like I said, I just have a hard time with change. But, change is good. Change is life.

No comments: