Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Pet Peeve

We were at the park this morning and there appeared to be some sort of mom's group there as well. The mothers were all sitting at one of the picnic tables, coffee in hand, muffins laid out on the table having a good chat. The kids--I'd say ranging in age from about 18 months to 3 or so--were doing what kids do and running amok on the play structures. Now, I am all for moms getting together and talking about kid and non-kid things. You need that adult interaction and that "thank goodness I am not alone" feeling.

But please, for the love of Pete, pay attention to your kids. Do not ignore them and pretend that someone else is watching out for them.

I swear, at least three children almost got smashed while running in front of the swing I was pushing Ciara in. If I hadn't grabbed Ciara mid-swing, the kid (s) would have been really hurt. And none of the moms even looked up. Then there were city workers there building a new sandbox and shelter and the kids, of course, were watching all the action and going in and under the 'Caution' tape they had put around the area. The guys were being good sports about it but again, none of the moms came over to tell their child to be careful or to leave the men alone, etc.

The last thing that really got on my nerves is that there was a girl about 3 or maybe 4 who was sitting on a swing and wanted a push to get going. Now, the swings are across the playground from where the picnic tables are. I was standing near the tables pushing Ciara in the toddler swing and I could hear this girl shouting "Mommy, could you push me please?.....Mommy!....MOMMY!!!!" for at least 10 minutes. Now, if I could hear the girl then the mother could also. Not one mother even stopped talking or acknowledged the girl in any way. I was so tempted to butt in and say "Does that little girl belong to any of you? Because she wants some help." I don't know how anyone can just tune out their kids like that. Even if I am in a conversation with someone, I always am aware of where my kids are. If I hear any kids yelling for their mom, I always look to make sure it is not mine .

Ooooh, it just gets on my nerves when people don't pay attention to their children!

3 comments:

Stacie said...

Just a thought ... I let my kids run around the playscape at playgroup without following them around like a hawk. It doesn't mean I am not watching them though it may mean that my defintion of what requires attention is different than someone else's. For example, last week a very sweet mother tried to "help" me by keeping Fiona from climbing down some stairs on the playscape. Except, Fiona is perfectly capable of getting up and down those stairs and that is one of the things she likes to do. She didn't need to be "protected" from the stairs.

Paula said...

Point taken. I honestly don't follow my kids around either but I at least acknowledge them when they are asking me for help. That is just what I was trying to get across.

Anonymous said...

me too- I was in the park once when a family came in - from what I heard the man was not the father to the eldest girl- about 11 she was made run after the 2 year old while the parent ate lunch - even then she didnt get peace to eat hers - and had to carry it while she looked after her sister - every time she asked her mum to look out for the wee one she was ignored or laughed at- then it was time to go and the poor child hadnt even had a go on a swing- why to parents think having older chldren means they dont have to look after the younger one`s- made me so mad