Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Favorite Halloween Reads

I love Halloween! It is my favorite time of the year. We have already been reading Halloween stories at bedtime for a couple of weeks. Here are a few of the most requested around here.



This is a book I discovered while teaching. It is a counting book, counting up to ten and then back down again. It has black and white pictures that are kind of spooky but before it gets too spooky, there is a touch of comic relief from 10 mischievous mice.






Another counting book. This one counts backwards from 10. Cute pictures and rhyming text.








Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.
.. This popular rhyme is now a board book. This book is great for toddlers. It has very simple illustrations and one line of text on each page.





This is a new one for us this year. I saw it on Amazon and it got good reviews. It is about a skeleton who can't seem to get rid of his pesky hiccups (hic, hic, hic) until his friend ghost (hic, hic, hic) helps him out. I like that this book is about a skeleton and a ghost but is not scary in the least. My boys love this one!







This is another book I discovered during my teaching days. It has a catchy rhyming rhythm that can't help but be chanted when read aloud. The kids always love this one and by the second reading are always chiming in with the chorus. "Shake, shake, shake dem bones now. Shake, shake, shake dem bones now...."




Happy Halloween reading!!

No comments: