Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Could someone please inform my mother that we are living in the 21st century?

And while you're at it, clue her in on the miraculous advances in medicine in the last 65 years?

I took Gavin to the doctor today for a weird fever/rash type virus. It turns out that he has Scarlet Fever.
Well, you woulda thought we were living in the 1600s and I just told my mother he had the Bubonic Plague. Here is a snippet of the conversation:

Me: Gavin has Scarlet Fever.
Mother: Scarlet Fever! Oh my...well, when you get home you better strip ALL the beds in the house and put new sheets on. And throw out all those sippy cups. They are always drinking from each others cups. And spray the whole house with Lysol...
Me: Well the doctor put him on an antibiotic and said...
Mother: (cuts me off)Well, what about Aidan and Ciara?? Shouldn't they get antibiotics too?
Me: ??? What? Why?
Mother: They are going to get it. I bet my life they get it.
Me: You're right, they probably will.
Mother: (getting disgusted with me now) And you didn't ask the doctor what to do to prevent it??

And so it went for several more minutes.
In her defense, I suppose I should reveal the fact that my father had Scarlet Fever when he was a toddler and nearly died from it. He was quarantined to his room and no one saw him or my grandmother for close to a month. They left food at the bedroom door for them and that was that.

But that was in 1939.

Now, you get an antibiotic for 5 days and you're good to go.

Oh, the wonders of modern medicine.

No comments: