Friday, July 07, 2006

Sometimes they surprise you

Normally Aidan and Gavin are completely at odds in everything we do--what show to watch, what to have for lunch, what to play with. I often here them scuffling with each other in the living room as I feed Ciara in the kitchen. "Get offa me!" "No. No. Noooooo. Muuummmy!!!" "Hey! I was usin' dat!" (usually followed by a small thud and a loud cry) and so on.

Yesterday they got along so well that I had to hold back a tear or two. It was lovely. They wanted to watch the same show in the morning. They ate breakfast quietly together without picking the food off of each other's plate and feeding it to the dog. They played (somewhat) cooperatively. During our playtime while Ciara napped, Aidan wanted a snack but Gavin didn't want to leave his blocks. So the two of us went to the kitchen and Aidan opened the fridge (a newfound skill) and found a cup of blueberries from the night before. He took the cup and I went back to the playroom with Gavin, thinking Aidan was right behind me. I realized he wasn't and called him but I could hear him coming up the steps already. He had two cups in his hand and handed one to his brother and said "Here. I got you some blueberries." Gavin said "Oh, thank you." and then they both went about their building. I was so in awe that Aidan took it upon himself to get another cup from the cabinet and pour some of his blueberries in there for his brother.

Then at lunch, Aidan kept hounding me for pickles and olives--the one thing he will eat if he doesn't like what is being offered at lunch. I was trying to get lunch for them, for me and feed the baby who was fussy in her high chair. I kept saying "One second", "Hang on", "Just a minute" and finally Gavin said "I'll get it for you!" and went over to the fridge, opened it and got both containers. Of course he then proceeded to try and open the pickle jar while I was frantically running across the kitchen saying "No, no! It's going to...." Spill. Well, at least he was trying to be helpful.

As we went on our after dinner walk, Aidan recounted the day to my husband. I overheard him "....and Gavin spilled pickle juice but it was OK. 'Cause why? It was an accident."

I just had to write about their great day yesterday because, of course, today they are at each other's throats again. ...it was nice while it lasted.

No comments: