Thursday, July 10, 2008

Meltdown at Target

I believe I have sworn, oh about 4 or 5 times now, that I would never again step foot in Target with all three kids in tow. I have learned through many a meltdown that no good can come of it.

So why, you ask, did I take all three kids into Target yesterday? Well, for one, my mother was with me and I figured she could help with crowd control. Second, we were bored. IT was 95 degrees and humid out and we were stuck in the house. We had to get out. So when my mom stopped by to drop something off and mentioned she was on her way to Target, I begged her to let us go with her. Lucky her.

I tell the kids in the car they can pick something out of the dollar bin (love those). I confirm this with Gavin as he is my button pusher and boundary overstepper. So they pick out their things and connive to get a 2nd dollar item. Fine, I say. Then my mom buys them each a bouncy ball. We are on our way to the checkout when Gavin says he wants something else. He tells me what he wants and I say "Well, if you put back your three things you can get them." He proceeds to open up the waterworks. This can not end good.

What does he want to get? Underwear. Yes, you heard me. Underwear. What kid has a meltdown because he wants underwear??

I will spare the gory details of the tears and negotiations that followed. The end result was that he put back two of the three items he had and got one package of Kung Fu Panda underwear which he immediately put on as soon as we walked in the door.

I have always said that Gavin is my odd duck. But I mean that in the most endearing way.

No comments: