Friday, December 08, 2006

Flu shots

I took the kids to get flu shots yesterday. Iwas debating whether to tell the boys in advance or not tell them anything at all and wait until we got to the doctor's office. There were cons to each scenario.
If I told them in advance, I risked listening to "I don't want to go" overandoverandover and possible tears. Plus, I didn't want them dwelling on going to the doctor all day for a shot that was going to take all of 3 seconds to administer.
If I waited until we got to the office to mention anything, I faced a possible meltdown in the office with people staring at us. Also, I didn't want them to be afraid of the doctor's and think that everytime they go they were going to get a shot (or a 'pinch' as I call it).
So, I decided to just mention it nonchalantly when they inevitably ask what we are doing for the day. "We are just making a quick trip to the doctor."

Gavin (wheels immediately turning in his head): Why? Why are we going there?
Aidan (who takes everything we say at face value): Oh, that's good. My teeth hurt. (???)

I say we just need to get a really quick check up and that seems to satisfy them for the moment. So Gavin keeps mentioning it throughout the day and then asks me point blank "Are we going to get a pinch?" What was I going to do? I couldn't lie to him. "Um, yes. You will be getting a little pinch."

And let the floodgates open....

"I don't want to get a pinch!" Tears streaming down face. "No! No! I don't want to go!". And so it continued for about 20 minutes. He finally calms down and seems to accept the fact. Everyone is quiet on the ride to the office. Once we get there, they even play with the little beaded toy that seems to be in every doctor's office everywhere. When they call us, I decide to take the boys in first and get it over with and leave Ciara in the waiting room with my mother.

We get in the room and I say to Gavin "You go first and it'll be over before you know it." To which he promptly declines and volunteers Aidan to go first. Aidan, easygoing oblivious boy that he is, agrees. I plop Aidan down on the examining table and the nurse says "Are you ready?" Aidan nods his head and then opens his mouth. Oh my god, this kid. He still thought he was going to the dentist.

So, the boys get their shots with nary a peep from either of them. Ciara got hers with a little squeal. And now they are hopefully protected from the flu for the season.

The end.

No comments: