Tuesday, February 03, 2009

A milestone of sorts

Yesterday, I dropped the boys off for a playdate at their friend's house. Alone.

And that is the milestone.

I wouldn't call myself overprotective per se. More non-trusting. I just don't trust anyone else with my kids' safety and well-being besides family. Any time Sean and I go out, it is always my mother or my sister or his mother who watches the kids. We are so lucky to have so much family around.

The boys had been to this friend's house once before but I had gone with them. To scope it out for future alone-playdates. I have been chit-chatting with the mom in the schoolyard since September and she seems really nice and together but you just never know. So I went to their first playdate with them. And it was fine. They have two HUGE Rottweilers which freaked me out at first but they were like big teddy bears. So the house got the green light for future independent playdates.

I dropped them off after school and Ciara was all excited because she thought she was going too. Poor kid. She screamed for about 45 minutes with that choppy, sobbing kind of voice. "But I...(sob sob)....want to go to....(sob sob)...Jackson's house!!" And getting out of the car, Gavin told me that he wanted Ciara to come, too. That was sweet and kind of uncharacteristic of him. I think he really likes when all three of them are together.

I picked them up about an hour and a half later and all was well. They had fun, they behaved (so the mom told me) and I am glad I let them go. It was a big milestone for me too.

No comments: