Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Whatta you wanna do with your life?

For some reason, whenever I contemplate my future, this line always pops into my head from the Twisted Sister video fromt he 80s. Remember the guy yelling in his son's face so intensely that he drools? And then he gets right into his face and screams "Whatta you wanna DO with your life....?"? And then the kid looks at him and says "I wanna rock." Cue Twisted Sister music.

Lately, I have been wondering what exactly I want to do with my life. I am a teacher by trade yet foolishly allowed my certification to run out because once I had the boys, I sort of just forgot about everything else. I fell into motherhood so easily that I couldn't imagine a day would come when I would want to do something else. For the record, I still can't imagine it but I am trying to plan for the future. My kids are still young and need me but time goes by so quickly and soon it will seem foolish for me to just stay home all day while they are at school. Truth be told, it doesn't sound too bad to me right now but I know I will look for something to stimulate my mind. So, I am looking into grad school.

I spend a lot of time at the boys' school helping out here and there. The first time I did it earlier in the year, it just felt so right and comfortable to be in a school setting again. So familiar. It started in my mind then that I would want to do something school-related. It made sense since I already had my teaching degree but I wasn't sure I wanted to be in a classroom again. Before the boys were born I had started a grad degree in Library and Media Technology to be certified to be an elementary librarian. I love books, I minored in Children's Lit as an undergrad and I was excited to head in this direction. Then the boys were born, my degree went on permanent hold and now I am kicking myself for not keeping up with it. However, one of the colleges here offers a completely-online Library degree and now that excitement is starting to brew again. I think it will take two years so my plan is to do that and use the library at the boys' school for all my fieldwork. In two years Ciara will also be at that school (sob!) so maybe I can volunteer a lot in the library after I get my degree, learn the ropes, get some experience and, more importantly in my case, some confidence and get a job a few years down the road.

Sounds like a good plan, right? But you know what they say about the best laid plans...

No comments: