Friday, May 19, 2006

"I don't know how you do it"

There are three comments that are enough to make me roll my eyes when I hear them. I normally am very laid back and let things just roll off me, but these few annoy me to no end:

1. I don't know how you do it. Usually this statement is only uttered by my mom and my mother-in-law. And it is usually uttered after spending any amount of time with my boys who are of an age where they are very...let's say, "active". "I tell you, I don't know how you do it and manage to look so relaxed" my mil says. I'll tell you how: I am 35 years younger than you, that's how. And then I ask them how they did it back when they popped out 3 kids in as many years. And they didn't even have VCRs, DVDs or computers to keep the litte ones entertained (Um, not that I do this or anything). This is always met with "Well, yes, I guess you're right."

2. You certainly have your hands full. I normally get this one when I am out by myself with all three. I mean, can they find nothing else to say? How about how cute they are or how well-behaved? Usually my response to this one is: "Well, I'd rather have them full than empty."

3. You mean you had another one after twins?! This is the most annoying to me. And it was recently said to me by a parent of twins. But then again, it was the dad so of course he would be boggled by the desire to willingly have another. What can I say? As corny as it sounds, I felt like I found my calling in life when I became a mom. I was good at it so why not have another? Plus, I was a kindergarten teacher before having the boys. I was used to controlled chaos.

So the next time you are out and about and see a woman looking happy, if not slightly harried, while trying to push the store carriage with two preschoolers in the cart area and an infant in the front seat, just smile and say "What a nice family you have". It'll really make her day.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Just wanted to tell you that I love your blog!! Keep 'em coming! And I'm going to steal your hands full come back too, that is good.

Sarah said...

That is awesome. I will actually remember to say something nice like that!