Sunday, May 14, 2006

Unsolicited comments and a moment of pride

We had our third and final First Communion this weekend. Hallelujah! This one was on my husband's side and we rarely get together except for these special occasions and even then several of his siblings are no-shows (whole other blog post entirely).

So my mother-in-law's very good friend is there because she also happens to be the godparent of Communion boy's mom. I don't particularly care for this woman and I hardly talk to her except for the cordial Hi-how are-you's. Personally, I think she is kind of arrogant but have kept my opinions to myself all these years. Anyway, she asks how the kids are doing and all that chit chat. Sean mentions they are all doing fine "unless you count sleeping" he says, "Ciara has been a horrible sleeper lately". It eventually comes out that at some point during the night, she comes into our bed to sleep. "Gee", says mil's friend, "you'd think since she is your third you'd know better." Oooooh, in that moment I was wishing I was witty enough to shoot back with some biting remark but all I could come up with was "Well, it all comes down to me sleeping or me not sleeping and I will take sleep, thank you very much". Plus, I went on, Aidan did this same thing at her age and he is a great sleeper now. It took him almost 2 years to get there, sure, but as long as I know it is just a phase (as most everything in childhood is) then I can deal with it.

And now onto my moment of pride...

It is always so validating when the manners you have tried so hard to instill in your toddler-come-preschooler show themselves in public. And better yet, when they flow out of the child's mouth naturally without any prompting or reminding. Both boys were so polite most of the day and I was just beaming when my mil said "You are doing such a good job with them". Not that I needed to hear that to know I was a good mom but still, it felt nice. It also felt nice when another little boy their age threw his drink yogurt container on the floor and the dad (who I don't know at all) kept saying "Pick that up", "Would you please pick that up?" "Anthony! Pick that up!" The boy totally ignored him. I kind of felt awkward since we were the only adults in the room and I didn't know him enough to joke around with him about it. So, I asked Aidan once to please pick that up (I still don't know why I did) and he did and walked over to hand it to me. That's my boy. And then there is the other one...Gavin. Who, when asked to say hello to another little boy in the room, replied "No, thank you please."

Ah well, you can't win 'em all.

No comments: