Monday, October 23, 2006

Playing with dolls

Lately I have been pondering the subject of gender roles and the parameters that society places on boys and girls. My kids have free range over the toys they play with and want to own. I figure when they get to kindergarten (or perhaps even now, in preschool), they will learn soon enough from their peers what is considered a "girl" toy or a "boy" toy. Both boys are drawn to the Little Mermaid right now. And why not? The toys she accompanies are sparkly, shiny things that sing beautiful music. Meanwhile, the truck over in the "boy" section is black and makes loud noises. Maybe one day they will go for that but right now, they are in to the kinder, gentler toys.

Ciara on the other hand plays with everything. The boys' trucks, their helicopters and Thomas trains. But, she also has recently started seeking out dolls and hugging them or putting them in her highchair. I haven't made any attempt to push her towards the dolls. When I play with her, she leads the way and I just run with it. But, like I said, lately she is into the whole doll thing.

So my mother buys her a doll stroller yesterday. She has been dying to do this probably since Ciara was born. And Ciara loved it.
And so did Gavin.

The whole time we were at my parents' house, he carted that doll around and talked to it, sang to it, fed it. He and Ciara fought over that stroller all day. It was quite funny. And really, really cute.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

He'll be a wonderful father!