Tuesday, November 28, 2006

3 years coming

Something happened today that I have dreamed about for three years.

The boys played together. In an organized fashion.

Normally they have such different interests. Gavin builds with Duplos. Aidan colors at the table. Gavin makes elaborate meals in the play kitchen. Aidan colors at the table. Gavin does puzzle after puzzle. Aidan colors.....you get it. Aidan does not have as much interest in imaginative play as Gavin does. Until yesterday that is, which is why I was so excited about it.

I announced the TV was going off and they would have to find other means to occupy themselves. I fully expected Aidan to withdraw to his crayons, pencils, markers and paper. But instead, he joined Gavin as he packed up our Little Tikes shopping cart and announced he was going on a trip. They then proceeded to make circles throughout the kitchen, dining room and foyer in an effort to get to wherever it was they were going (with Ciara in hot pursuit). All the while Aidan is trying to tell Gavin some of his ideas and Gavin is largely ignoring him. Suddenly Aidan stops and says in a stern voice "Gavin! Look at me, I need to tell you something." Gavin does so (surprisingly) and Aidan continues: "Gavin, do not talk to me like that. And #2, no screaming." I just about burst out laughing because Gavin was doing neither of the two. However, Aidan's words made me figure they really are listening when we discipline them as much as it seems they aren't.

The funny thing was, Gavin totally listened to Aidan and said "OK, I won't."

Maybe I should just have his brother discipline him from now on?

No comments: