Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Friendship Feast

Tomorrow, Aidan and Gavin's preschool class is having a Friendship Feast. They will stand on the "big stage" and say some cute little turkey poems and sing some cute little turkey songs. Then they will have a feast of turkey, stuffing, corn and cookies. Lastly, they will exchange Friendship Necklaces they have been working on in class.

I was telling someone (a much older someone) about this "Friendship Feast" and was met with a response I wasn't expecting. "Friendship Feast? What, now they can't call it Thanksgiving anymore? Now even 3 year olds need to be politically correct?" I was kind of taken aback because I thought it was such a good idea. Instead of focusing on Pilgrims and Indians, which is a topic way over their heads in my opinion, they are focusing on the importance of friendship. Helping, caring, loving.

I know the boys will learn about Thanksgiving, Pilgrims, Indians, Plymouth Rock, Squanto and everything in between for some 12 years once they hit Kindergarten.

I think Friendship is a good place to start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well said. Friendship IS a good place to start.