Saturday, September 02, 2006

I read a book!

My first book since, oh...2002. I used to be a voracious reader. The best book I have ever read in my life and still my favorite is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Part smutty romance and part intellectual historical fiction. The author has a way of mixing the two where you don't feel like you are reading a mindless romance. Plus it dealt with Scottish history (my fave), specifically the Battle of Culloden. The author went on to write a series of 5 books but I only finished book 3 and partially read book 4. Why? Because then I had twins and I could barely concentrate on People magazine much less a 700 page novel.

So while on vacation, my sister pretty much forced me to read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hoseini. She brought it with her, started it Sunday and finished on Tuesday. She said it hooked her from the very first chapter. So Thursday night at 9:30, after all the kids were in bed I read the first chapter and didn't stop until 11:30! I finished the book by Sunday. It was so good. Not my type of book at all and I never would have picked it up if my sister hadn't hounded me but it was excellent. Very, very sad but great reading.

So that is my book recommendation. I now need more. It has awakened the reading bug in me.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad you got back into it. I love reading. I am always in the middle of a book.
Check out paperbackswap.com. Cool deal if you have books to trade.

Kimberly said...

Gosh, it's so great to get a good read in. I'm going to read this book now that you've got me interested.