Thursday, September 21, 2006

He's coming around



As I stated in an earlier post, Gavin sometimes has trouble conveying his feelings for us. He can be very stoic and projects a tough guy image even at 3 years old (especially in photos, lol). I am working on that. (Total opposite of his brother, by the way.)

Gavin is also a questioner. Wanting to know who, what, where, when and why on just about everything he comes into contact with. If we buy the boys a new toy or book or even a doughnut. Gavin will ask "Why you buy this for me?". To which I respond "Because I love you". At which point he gets a smug little look on his face and merrily skips away with aforementioned treat. This has become his thing.

Last week I purchased a small puzzle for the boys in celebration of the first day of preschool. When I gave it to them, Gavin asked his usual question and I gave my usual answer. Then today he asked me again why I bought him the puzzle and before I could answer he said "Because you love me?". I said "Yes" and he replied "Oh. I love you, too". I said "What?"--I know, can't leave well enough alone and just enjoy the moment. Now, usually he stutters over his words and backtracks not ever admitting he let it slip that he loves his mom. But today he repeated it loud and clear "I love you". I was genuinely touched.

I was jokingly telling myself that perhaps after a week of being out in the "real world" of preschool where not every adult thinks the sun rises and sets with him and his siblings, maybe he realized how lucky he has it at home. Maybe that is the case and maybe not.

But even if it is, I'll take it.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

That's so sweet.