Monday, September 18, 2006

On the subject of Breakfast

Gavin came to me this morning at 8:15 and asked if he could have a Scooby Doo ice cream (in reality a Scooby Doo sherbet push-up). I said no, it was too early for that and it was not something we ate at breakfast time. This being said as I doled out donut holes to his brother for his breakfast. And ate a big slab of Sean's grandmother's lemon cake for my own breakfast. Gavin had, in fact, already eaten his breakfast--a cup of drink yogurt and two bowls of fresh fruit. A better breakfast than Aidan or I was certainly eating.

Which led me to think exactly who deemed it was too early for a Scooby Doo push-up? Me? My mother as I was growing up? Her mother as she was growing up?

When I think of all the sugary things out there that are considered breakfast food--Pop Tarts, toaster pastries, Frosted Flakes, donuts--a sherbet pop doesn't seem all that bad. Especially when you have already eaten a healthy breakfast.

So, at 8:20 a.m., Gavin had a Scooby Doo push-up.

5 comments:

Paula said...

Too funny! I had apple cake. Should have added a Scooby-Doo push-up pop!

Carol said...

I can so relate! I had four under the age of five and was also a former teacher. Warning: they grow up SO quickly!!!

Carol

deedee said...

This is the one thing that really made me smile today. Cheers and Scooby Doo Push-Ups for all!

Mama Luvins said...

Good for you! I think your reasoning was right on.

Jennifer said...

I am always wondering about that too. My mother was a health nut with my sister and me, but by the time my brother came along, she was buying "sugar cereal" and chips ahoy and rocky road ice cream by the truckload. I wonder if my sister and I are any healthier because of it?