Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Don't say you love me, it's understood*

Just to further illustrate the night/day differences in my twin boys...

The other night, after we had gotten back from the boys' birthday party at the grandparents' house, the boys had spread their loot on the floor and were happily going through it. Aidan lets out this big sigh and says to Sean and I "I love you guys...So much" totally unsolicited from us, like he was totally content in his little life. Of course, Sean and I just looked at each other like "Awwww". It was just so damn cute. But it was also characteristic of him, our little wears-his-heart-on-his-sleeve boy.

Now Gavin, on the other hand, is a whole different story altogether. I don't think the words "I love you" have ever been uttered from his mouth without much prodding from his mom. His true feelings are usually guarded unless it can get him something. He is a smart little boy. So the other night we were lying in bed at bedtime and I always say to him "Gavin..." and he says "What?" and I say "I love you" to which he smiles but never says it back. It's our little thing. So on this night I start out with "Gavin..." He has his fingers in his mouth with his Beanie Baby so he says "Mmmm?" and I say "I love you". He says nothing. Doesn't even crack his smile. So I say again, "Gavin...I love you." and he says, all irritated, "OKAYY-YA".

It never ceases to amaze me how two boys, born on the same day to the same parents, being raised the exact same way at the same time can be so different. A living example of Nature vs. Nurture.


*Bonus points to you for knowing which song the title comes from

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Love these examples. Amazing little people, aren't they?

Metalmeredith said...

I just read this. Needless to say, I get bonus points in spades.