Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Determination

Gavin is one odd duck. I am his mother, I can say that. Whenever I am on the phone with my sister and she asks what Gavin is doing in the background (because he tends to be loud), I tell her what he's up to and her response is usually "That kid is so weird". It really is funny. He walks around the house, looking for something to do, someone to see, stares out the window and raises a hand when someone walks buy and says "Hi. Howyadoin'". He also roams the house in his goggles from his tool bench.

On the other hand, he is also my most inquisitive child always wanting to know what this is and what that does and can he try it, etc. Aidan just takes everything at face value and questions nothing. He couldn't care less how the Oreo got into his snack cup whereas Gavin wants to know what store it came from and who bought it.

Gavin also loves to build things with his blocks and often gets frustrated when they fall over. The first few times it happened, he cried and I thought he hurt himself. I race in the room asking, "What happened? Did you hurt yourself?" only to have him then get angry and say he can't make the blocks stay up. I offer my assistance only to be met with an angry "No! I do it!" Oooo-kay then. So last night I am cooking dinner in the kitchen and Gavin is in the dining room playing with what I think are Ciara's wooden stacking blocks. Every so often, I hear them fall and cries out and yells. I ask what's wrong and he screams again "No!" so I give up and go about my business all the while hearing the periodic fall of the blocks and the frustrated cry from Gavin. Finally I can take it no longer and I tiptoe to the doorway to see what he is doing. Well, he didn't have Ciara's blocks...he was trying to stand all his crayons up on end on the dining room table. And, after another 10 minutes, he succeeded! I was cursing myself that I didn't have my camera near as I usually do. He was so proud.

Well, at least I can add determination to the long list of adjectives I have to describe him.

No comments: